Sunday 9 September 2012

Gingerbread Clock

Gingerbread Clock

An American style of inexpensive clock produced in great numbers in the last quarter of the 19th century, these shelf clocks often sat in the kitchens of lower and middle class homes. Usually made of oak or walnut; their often highly ornate press-molded and incised wings and tops conferring their "gingerbread" nickname.
An English weight-driven clock style dating from the early 1600'sInstructables virtuosa Mezcraft made a (sadly non-working) geared gingerbread cuckoo clock with internal gingerbread gearing. She kind of beats herself up for the mechanical unsoundness of gingerbread, but that's hardly her fault!Well - this is a bit of a fail so this is where it gets sad. After all my research and all of my effort my gears have stuck to the axle and will not turn. Two of them have some movement but the other two are stuck. If anybody out there has tips on how to avoid getting icing down onto your axle I am all ears! I still haven't given up on this idea. I might try it again another time..I think also the weight of my top gear pieces limited the ability for the gear to turn. Ah well.. It was really fun to try and do. Plus my clock feels slightly more authentic, like it has a gingerbread gear heart on the inside. No Hollow Gingerbread house for me, that's right, I got a Gingerbreadhouse with soul...

Gingerbread Clock


Gingerbread Clock

Gingerbread Clock

Gingerbread Clock

Gingerbread Clock

Gingerbread Clock

Gingerbread Clock

Gingerbread Clock

Gingerbread Clock

No comments:

Post a Comment